Trans Awareness Week 2021
This week is Trans Awareness Week (13-19 November); the week is an opportunity to further educate ourselves and others around trans identities and experiences. Here at Queen Mary, we are sharing resources to support our community and further trans inclusion, so that:
- Everyone can bring their whole self to work and study,
- Our community are confident engaging with trans people.
At Queen Mary, we aim to be the most inclusive university of our kind, anywhere, by 2030. This means creating an environment where trans students and staff can be themselves and are treated with kindness, dignity, and respect.
At the end of Trans Awareness Week, this Saturday, 20 November, Queen Mary will be marking Transgender Day of Remembrance.
Steps you can take to further trans inclusion at Queen Mary:
- Watch and share: Our video on Why Pronouns Matter. The video raises awareness of pronouns, and ways in which we can all support our gender diverse students and staff
- Read and reflect: The EDI Team have produced detailed guidance about trans inclusion and transitioning at Queen Mary (see below).
- Update your information: You can share equal opportunities data via MyHR (for staff) to check this is up to date, or share your pronouns via your email signature.
- Get involved: Join the LGBT+ Society (students) or QMOut (staff).
Resources and Support
- Being a Trans Ally leaflet: find out what we mean by ‘trans’ and what you can do to be a trans ally.
- #PronounsMatter leaflet: find out what pronouns are, how to use them, and why they matter as well as how you can show your support for gender diverse staff and students.
- Rainbow lanyards and pronoun badges: you can pick these up from the HR office in Dept W or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Queen Mary's Advice and Counselling Service
- If you experience or witness bullying, harassment, or discrimination you can report it (anonymously if you like) and/or access support through our Report & Support tool.
- You can also report incidences in accordance with the Dignity at Work and Study Policy.