Skip to main content

Top 10 money tips for the new academic year

The Advice and Counselling Service has put together a handy list of top 10 money tips for the new academic year.

  1. Don’t miss out on money that you are entitled to. Use the funding advice guides on the Advice and Counselling Service website to help you check this.
  2. Use our online spreadsheets to plan your personal budget for the academic year ahead, so you are in control of your finances.
  3. Use our money saving ideas to find out about discounts and ways to get the best value for your money.
  4. Try and cook with a group of friends, as this is often cheaper than cooking for yourself, and more fun! Find simple recipes at
  5. Save 30 per cent on travelcards with the 18+ Student Oyster photocard
  6. Get discounts with your NUS Extra card and subscribe to Save the Student for regular emails about student discounts.
  7. Check if you could switch to a cheaper tariff for your gas and electricity bills – see

Also reduce your bills by finding out how you can save energy.

  1. To avoid running out of money before the end of the semester, open different bank accounts for different purposes and move money between them at set times, so you are less tempted to overspend. Get advice from the Student Room.
  2. Save money on books: borrow from the university library, and download academic e-books and e-journals for free; share books with friends; buy second hand or discounted books online or from the campus bookshop.
  3. Are you in financial hardship? You might be eligible to apply to the university Financial Assistance Fund once you have enrolled. Watch our short animation on financial hardship to see what help is available. 

Is your Student Finance, NHS Bursary, or other funding delayed?

Follow the advice on our website about what you need to do, and help you may be able to get from the university. 

Are you an EEA National?

You may be eligible for full Student Finance (money for living costs as well as a Tuition Fee Loan) if you were living in England on 1 September of the year in which you started your course and either you are now working or had lived in the UK for five years before the start of your course. If you are applying on the basis of working, you do not need to have been working during previous years of your course, but you must be working when you apply for Student Finance and intend to continue working throughout your course. For information about how to apply, read the Eligibility section of the Undergraduate Funding guide.

Do you need further advice?

You can find out more about the Advice and Counselling Service and how we can help you at

To contact us, you can:

  • email us via our website
  • call us on 020 7882 8717
  • visit our Reception on the ground floor of the Geography building, Mile End campus. 

Get our latest news via:

Twitter: @QMUL_ACS



Back to top