Skip to main content

Top 10 money tips for new students

Are you worries about making your money last at university? The Advice and Counselling Service has put together a handy list of top 10 money tips for new students.



  1. Don’t miss out on money that you are entitled to. Use the funding advice guides on the Advice and Counselling Service website to help you check.
  2. Buy an NUS (National Union of Students) TOTUM card (£12 a year) to get discounts on a wide variety of shops, restaurants, cinema and travel.
  3. Save 30 per cent on travelcards with the 18+ Student Oyster photocard.
  4. Use our online spreadsheets to plan your personal budget for the academic year ahead, so you are in control of your finances.
  5. Use our money saving ideas to find out about discounts and ways to get the best value for your money.
  6. Try and cook with a group of friends, as this is often cheaper than cooking for yourself, and more fun! Or, cook in large quantities and freeze portions to use later. Find simple, healthy recipes at
  7. Bring a packed lunch to university sometimes – if you buy lunch at university five days a week you could be spending over £100 a month!
  8. Compare student bank accounts before choosing the right one for you. There is specific information for international students about opening a bank account on the Advice and Counselling Service website.
  9. To avoid running out of money before the end of the semester, open different bank accounts for different purposes and move money between them at set times. Get advice from the Student Room.
  10. Search online for price comparison websites to get the best deal on whatever you are buying. Watch our short animation about budgeting to see what the benefits are. 

Is your Student Finance, NHS Bursary, or other funding delayed?

Follow the advice on our website about what you need to do and help you may be able to get from Queen Mary. 

Are you an EU or EEA National?

You may be eligible for full Student Finance (money for living costs as well as a Tuition Fee Loan) if you were living in England on 1 September 2018 and you are either working now (EEA nationals), or you have lived in the UK for the five years before that date (EU nationals only). To check your eligibility and find out how to apply, read the Eligibility section of the Advice and Counselling Service advice guide. 

Do you need further advice?

You can find out more about the Advice and Counselling Service and how we can help you at

To contact us, you can:

  • email us via our website
  • call us on 020 7882 8717
  • visit our Reception on the ground floor of the Geography building, Mile End campus. 

Twitter: @QMUL_ACS



Back to top