Skip to main content

Estranged Students Solidarity Week, 26–30 November

Queen Mary has taken a pledge with the charity Standalone to support our estranged students, meaning that there is lots of support available to help you get the funding you are eligible for, to help you find accommodation, and to support you academically and emotionally.



Many students at Queen Mary either don’t have family, or are not in contact with them. Lack of family support can cause serious challenges with practical matters such as accessing funding and accommodation.

If you are in the process of separating from your family, we can support you through the transition to living independently and try to help you minimise the impact on your studies. 

There is information on the QMUL Advice and Counselling Service website about the confidential support available for: 

You are invited to contact the Advice and Counselling service confidentially and let them know of anything you would like advice or support with, and they will be happy to help you. 

Do you need further advice?

Money advice is available to all Queen Mary students from experienced Welfare Advisers in the Advice and Counselling Service. The service is confidential and free. 

We have same-day appointments every weekday in term-time, subject to availability. Registration starts at 1.30pm. If you would prefer to book an appointment or ask for advice on email you can: 

  • email us via our website
  • call us on 020 7882 8717
  • visit our Reception on the ground floor of the Geography building, Mile End campus. 

You can also keep up to date with our news: 



Back to top