Skip to main content

Are you no longer in contact with your family? We have lots of support for you

We understand that the uncertainty and anxiety that the pandemic is causing can be particularly challenging for students with limited or no family contact or support.


Our Advice and Counselling Service have a web page about the support that is available for students with limited or no family contact, and a similar web page for students who have been in the care of a Local Authority.

Please contact the Advice and Counselling Service if you would like advice either by email or they can offer an online appointment. You may also like a supportive phone call from one of the Counsellors. You can contact them by completing our web form.

You may find the Standalone charity’s podcasts about family estrangement useful. Two of the episodes are specifically about coping with the pandemic.

The Advice and Counselling Service also have a list of resources to support your emotional health at this time.


Advice and Counselling also have a web page about the impact of the pandemic on your money.

You should try to reapply for Student Finance for next academic year by 22 May so that the money will be ready for September. Please contact Advice and Counselling if you need help applying.

To help you plan your budget you may find this online guidance and spreadsheets useful.

The Queen Mary Financial Assistance Fund (FAF) can assist students who are in financial need. Young Independent Students can apply to the Financial Assistance Fund for a grant of up to £1,500 to help with your living costs during the summer vacation between each academic year of your course. The deadline to apply to FAF is Friday 10 July 2020.

If you have not made a FAF application already this academic year you will need to complete a full FAF application online via MySIS. The application process is explained here. If you have already made a FAF application this academic year then, to be considered for summer support, you need to email and ask them to re-open your application.

If you would help making your FAF application, please contact the Advice and Counselling Service.

If you are a final year student and you have not got a job to go to at the end of your course, you may be able to claim Universal Credit once the course end date has passed. 


Once you have applied for your Student Finance you may also wish to apply for the Unite Foundation Scholarship which is open to continuing students. The scholarship provides up to three years of free, year-round accommodation at Rahere Court. The deadline to apply is 5 June 2020. Please Advice and Counselling if you would like help applying. 

If you need to find accommodation for the summer vacation and beyond please contact Queen Mary Housing Services who can advise you on the availability of Queen Mary accommodation for the summer vacation period as well as offering private sector housing advice.

Please contact the Advice and Counselling Service if you have questions about the information above, or would like emotional support.



Back to top