MyQMUL

Sarinah, Buddy Scheme Mentor 2021

3 Students in a photo

"This position will truly improve your own skills, such as an ability to lead others, communicate and be a reliable source of support"

December 2021

The last few years have been incredibly tough on all of us, especially with the restrictions on socialising and taking up in-person opportunities. As an individual, I felt as though my confidence truly suffered over the course of several lockdowns and a lack of connecting with new people, new faces, and new places. Adding to this was the fact that my cohort experienced first year strictly online. Seeing how difficult that was, I decided I wanted to help incoming undergraduate students feel welcomed and supported as they adjust to academic life at QMUL. If you are keen to reach out to others, always happy to help, and want to make a difference supporting fellow students, the role of Buddy Mentor is perfect for you!

Of course, guiding mentees is part of your responsibility as a Buddy Scheme Mentor, but this position will truly improve your own skills, such as an ability to lead others, communicate and be a reliable source of support. I assure you; you do not have to be the most extroverted person to take up this role. I was incredibly nervous about building a rapport with my mentees but (as you can see in the picture above) if you have the sincere intentions of being a good mentor, it definitely shines through, and you can develop fantastic friendships with your amazing buddies. From my experience, I can say, all you genuinely need is the drive and passion to help the next cohort of students and to keep building the welcoming, accepting, and supportive community at Queen Mary.

Sarinah, Buddy Scheme Mentor & Volunteer

Back to top