Tips for saving money
Living in London can be expensive but there are many simple things you can do to help you save money.
We recommend reading the money saving ideas on the Advice and Counselling Service website which explains how you could make savings on things such as bills, banking and travel. We also explain discounts you can get as a student. Save the Student also has some good ideas.
Some simple ideas you can do to start saving money straight away include:
- Have fun cooking at home rather than eating out/take-away. There are plenty of apps out there that allow you to get cheaper takeaways and eat out for a fraction of the price. Too Good To Go offers discounted prices for food that would otherwise be wasted at the end of the day.
- Take a refillable water bottle and coffee cup with you
- Walk or cycle instead of using public transport - you don’t need to buy your own bike you could use one of the bike rental schemes such as the Santander bike rental scheme
- Sell your old belongings on apps such as e-bay, depop, gumtree
- Swap clothes/books/accessories/games with friends
- Check Timeout London for offers and free things to do
- Learn a new skill so you can repair and make things yourself
- Swap buying books and films for the internet and going to the library.
Start counting how much money you save using money saving tips and discounts and you may be surprised. Hopefully this will motivate you to keep going and remember that sometimes you deserve a treat!