MyQMUL

Kayathry, Buddy Scheme Mentor 2023

"By becoming a mentor, you would be able to gain valuable skills such as effective communication, time management and responsibility"

December 2023

The reason why I applied to become a buddy scheme mentor is because I wanted to support and help first year students to settle into university. I still remember when I was entering first year it was a huge transition for me from A-Levels to higher education. Therefore, by becoming a mentor I was able to inform my mentee how there are variety of support available for students at Queen Mary University of London. By becoming a mentor, you would be able to gain valuable skills such as effective communication, time management and responsibility which can really be beneficial to discuss when writing CV.

Being a mentor, I am responsible for having once a week meeting with my mentee to make sure that my mentee can let me know any questions they may have, and I was able to point them in the right direction. For example, I was able to give general advice on how to prepare for exams and how to stay on track on assignments by using time effectively. This sense of helping one another really had an impact on me positively and is always something to cherish! Furthermore, just letting them know that if they need any guidance, they can reach out just ensures the space given for my mentee to discuss with me any concerns they might have. I felt by doing these good actions were rewarding for me and creating a positive impact within the Queen Mary community.

I would strongly recommend students to apply for the buddy scheme mentor programme as it is a great opportunity to take part in to enhance your networking skills and develop soft skills as well!

Kayathry, Buddy Scheme Mentor & Volunteer

Back to top