Course essentials menu

Personal tutors/academic advisers

At the start of your studies, you will be allocated a personal tutor (sometimes called an academic adviser or mentor), who is the point of contact within your School or Institute. Your personal tutor will provide guidance and support during your studies, and will be familiar with the kinds of difficulties that students experience at university. They may give you advice about which elective modules to choose, write you a reference for job or postgraduate study applications or give you advice on personal matters that might be affecting your studies. If your personal tutor cannot answer your questions, they will know who can. You can see who your personal tutor is on MySIS.

Each School or Institute also has a senior member of staff with overall responsibility for student advice, generally called the Senior Tutor, or in the School of Medicine and Dentistry, the Dean for Student Affairs. This is the person you should see if your personal tutor is not able or available to help on an issue. You may also seek advice from your School or Institute office.

Return to top