Jump to menu

Money Matters – April 2017

Friday 21 April 2017

Have you paid too much Income Tax?

The tax year ended on 5 April. If you did any work in the 2016/17 tax year, it is a good idea to check whether you paid too much tax on your income. If so, you can claim this back. The Tax Guide for Students website explains how to do this.

Have you applied for Student Finance for next academic year?

If you are a continuing student you should wait for SFE to contact you before applying for the 2017/18 academic year. However, if you have not yet been contacted by SFE it is advisable to log on to your online SFE account to check if you have been invited to apply. To find out how much Student Finance you might get in 2017/18 click here.

Are you no longer in contact with your family?

We have a web page about the support that is available for estranged students, including how to apply for Student Finance as an independent student and applying to QMUL for a grant to help you pay towards your rent over the summer vacation. We have a similar web page for students who have been in the care of a Local Authority.

Money for lone parents and students with ongoing ill health or a disability

During part of the summer vacation, you can usually claim more income from welfare benefits than during term time. This is explained in our webpages for Students with Children and our advice guide Extra Money for Disability and Ill Health

Please contact a Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Service if you need any help with your summer benefit claims. We can also advise you about any entitlement to non repayable financial help from the University’s Financial Assistance Fund.

Protecting your deposit in privately rented accommodation

Are you moving into privately rented accommodation over the summer? When you pay a deposit for an assured short hold tenancy, your landlord or letting agent must protect your deposit through a government-backed tenancy deposit protection scheme within 30 days of receiving it. For more information, see the Shelter website.

The QMUL Housing Services office or the Advice and Counselling Service can also advise you.

How to get more help

If you would like a confidential appointment in the Advice and Counselling Service to talk about your individual situation, you can either:

  • Try and get a same-day appointment – a limited number of these are available every weekday afternoon during term time. Registration starts at 1.30pm; or
  • Book an appointment in advance by:
  • emailing us via our website www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk
  • calling us on 020 7882 8717
  • visiting our Reception on the ground floor of the Geography building, Mile End campus

Twitter: @QMUL_ACS
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/pj5TP3

Bookmark and Share