Monday 5 December 2016
QMUL’s Security Service will be on duty and available all over the Christmas period, both day and night. They have also put together some security tips and advice so that you can help with security during the holidays.
- Please ensure that all valuable QMUL and personal property is securely locked away, and items that are not able to be locked away are out of sight.
- Bicycle theft was the highest crime on our campuses last year leading up to and during the Christmas break. If you are leaving a bicycle on campus during this time, please ensure it is securely locked to bike racks on the campus and please take away any removable items. Please visit the Security webpage on bike safety for more information.
- Please make sure that all doors are closed and locked, and windows are closed and where possible locked. Please report any defective locks and latches that pose a security risk to 020 7882 2580 or email email@example.com.
- If you are expecting parcel deliveries and cannot guarantee being within your residence, please consider making use of a designated ‘drop off’ point which most reputable couriers all operate. Please check respective websites for details.
- Whether on or off campus, to ensure you remain safe and secure throughout the festive season please read the Personal Safety Guide [PDF] for further advice and support.
- For further tips and advice, please follow us @QMULSecurity.
- Everyone is encouraged to switch off non-essential electrical items during the break to save energy and reduce the risk of fire.
If you have any concerns regarding security during the break, please contact the Security team on 020 7882 5000 and ask to speak to the Security Shift Manager or visit the Security website: security.qmul.ac.uk
The Estates and Facilities Helpdesk and Reception will be staffed for reduced hours; however any urgent matters should be highlighted to Security over the holiday closure period. As usual, queries relating to the Estates and Facilities Directorate or requests/reports for any operational services can be submitted via email, by phone or in person as follows:
Phone: 0207 882 2580
Office: France House (Ground Floor), Westfield Way, Mile End campus
The majority of issues will be logged for attendance by the appropriate section after QMUL re-opens in January and non-urgent emails will also be responded to at this time. Urgent reports will be referred to duty staff for immediate response.
In an emergency
For any issues that require immediate action to prevent/mitigate injury or harm to persons or damage to property or equipment, please contact Security directly on 020 7882 5000 or in an emergency 020 7882 3333.
Finally, the Security team wishes everyone a safe and Merry Christmas and a prosperous and crime-free New Year.