Jump to menu

Money Matters - care leavers and estranged students

Tuesday 18 October 2016

Are you a care leaver or estranged from your family?

If you are not able to provide evidence of parental income because you are a care leaver or you are estranged, then you need to get assessed by Student Finance England (SFE) as independent, otherwise you will only be able to get the non-income assessed amount of Maintenance Loan, which is unlikely to be enough money to pay for your living costs. If you are assessed as independent, you can get the maximum amount of Maintenance Loan, and the QMUL bursary.

There is detailed advice on our website to help you apply for Student Finance as an independent student, and for information about financial support from QMUL:

You can also contact a Welfare Adviser for help with your Student Finance application at any stage of the process. With your permission, we can contact SFE for you if necessary.

Do you need further advice?

Money advice at QMUL is available to all QMUL students from experienced Welfare Advisers in the Advice and Counselling Service. The service is confidential and free.

We have same-day appointments every weekday in term-time, subject to availability. Just turn up to register at 1.30pm. If you would prefer to book an appointment or ask for advice on email you can:

• email us via our website www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk 

• call us on 020 7882 8717

• visit our Reception on the ground floor of the Geography building, Mile End campus.

You can also follow us:

• on Twitter: @QMUL_ACS

• on Facebook: http://on.fb.me/pj5TP3

Bookmark and Share