Wednesday 29 June 2016
Have you ever wondered what the Annual Fund is? It is a pot of generous gifts from our alumni, whose support makes a significant difference to Queen Mary, from improving students’ lives to supporting community and employability projects run by our own students. Read on to find out more about the Annual Fund and how it is helping our university.
What do you know about the Annual Fund?
- In short, the Annual Fund has two strands: the Barts and The London Annual Fund which supports medical and dental students and the Queen Mary Annual Fund which supports all other areas of study.
- The Annual Fund is supported by alumni donations which fund students through scholarships and bursaries and community and employability projects led by our students and staff.
- Since 2011, our student callers have been contacting alumni to raise funds for the Annual Fund and have raised over £800,000 to date.
What has the Annual Fund supported this past year?
Thanks to the generous donations our alumni have made, we have been able to fund:
- 46 scholarships and bursaries, recognising and awarding the brightest and helping those in financial hardship
- 33 projects including Project Play – a student-led project that provides a play service for children at the Royal London Hospital, as well as QMUL Community Sport – a programme which aims to increase sport within Tower Hamlets using students as coaches
- 10 music scholarships
- 10 medical and dental students’ visits to Honduras to provide medical, dental and hygiene care to over 1,000 people
These are some of the Annual Fund’s successes to name a few, but what is most important is the amount of outreach achieved due to the generosity of our alumni. It is because of their kindness that we are able to help our students in many ways and give them opportunities to develop both academically and personally.
Many of us tend to generally think of alumni as mature individuals who attended the same university decades ago. But that is not the case; you are an alumnus as soon as you graduate and it is vital we do our bit to help future generations of students, whether it is through providing financial support, volunteering our time, mentoring and so forth.
As current students, you might feel like you do not need to worry about supporting the university just yet and may think of giving back as something to be done in years to come. But we do hope you will think about your peers and the future generations of Queen Mary students who will count on you for your support in the near future.
For more information, visit: www.qmul.ac.uk/alumni/supportingqm/annualfund