Jump to menu

Money Matters: Some tips from the Advice and Counselling Service

Tuesday 26 April 2016

The Advice and Counselling Service have some really useful tips from reclaiming tax to protecting your deposit in privately rented accommodation.

  • Have you paid too much Income Tax?

The tax year ended on 5 April. If you did any work in the 2015-16 tax year, it is a good idea to check whether you paid too much tax on your income. If so, you can claim this back. The Tax Guide for Students website explains how to do this.

  • Have you applied for Student Finance for next academic year?

If you are continuing on your course in 2016-17, renew your Student Finance application by Friday 24 June for your money to be ready by the start of the new academic year. To apply, just log in to your online account using your Customer Reference Number and password. To find out how much Student Finance you might get in 2016-17, click here.

  • Are you estranged from your family or have you been in care?

We have a webpage about the support that is available for estranged students, including how to apply for Student Finance as an independent student and applying to QMUL for a grant to help you pay towards your rent over the summer vacation. We have a similar web page for students who have been in the care of a Local Authority.

  • Money for lone parents and students with ongoing ill health or a disability

During part of the summer vacation, you can usually claim more income from welfare benefits than during term time. This is explained in our advice guides:

Money for lone parents and Extra Money for Disability and Ill Health

Please contact a Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Service if you need any help with your summer benefit claims. We can also advise you about any entitlement to non repayable financial help from the University’s Financial Assistance Fund.

  • Protecting your deposit in privately rented accommodation

Are you moving into privately rented accommodation over the summer? When you pay a deposit for an assured shorthold tenancy, your landlord or letting agent must protect your deposit through a government-backed tenancy deposit protection scheme within 30 days of receiving it. For more information, see the Shelter website.

The QMUL Housing Services office or the Advice and Counselling Service can also advise you.

  • New QMUL rent guarantor scheme for international students

If you are an international undergraduate student going into your second year in 2016-17 and you are required to provide a UK based guarantor for your landlord, you may like to apply for QMUL to act as your financial guarantor. Up to 15 students can benefit from this new scheme. More information and the application form are available online.

How to get more help

If you would like a confidential appointment in the Advice and Counselling Service to talk about your individual situation, you can either:

  • Try and get a same-day appointment – a limited number of these are available every weekday afternoon during term time. Registration starts at 1.30; or
  • Book an appointment in advance by: 
  • emailing us via our website www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk
  • calling us on 020 7882 8717
  • visiting our Reception on the ground floor of the Geography building, Mile End campus

Twitter: @QMUL_ACS
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/pj5TP3

Bookmark and Share