Jump to menu

Does your house-share have smoke and carbon monoxide alarms?

Thursday 3 December 2015

*Important update in legislation: The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms (England) Regulations 2015*

From 1 October 2015 changes to the Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations require your landlord to install at least one smoke alarm on each storey of the property.  Please contact your landlord or agent if this has not been done.

Carbon monoxide alarms only need to be fitted in rooms where solid fuel appliances are installed; however landlords are still encouraged to provide detectors as good safety practice.

You should test your existing alarms on a regular basis to ensure that they work.  If you are not sure how the alarms work, contact your landlord or letting agent and ask them to show you.  

Further guidance and other useful information can be found here:   www.residences.qmul.ac.uk/alternative/privaterenting/links/ 

If you require advice regarding private accommodation, you can speak to a Housing Adviser by visiting the Housing Hub in Feilden House at the Mile End campus, Monday to Friday, anytime between the hours of 9am to 5pm.  Alternatively you can contact them by email housingservices@qmul.ac.uk or phone 0207 882 6474.

Bookmark and Share