Jump to menu

Top ten money tips for the new academic year

Tuesday 22 September 2015

The Advice and Counselling Service have got some useful tips and information to help you manage your money.

Is your Student Finance, NHS Bursary, or other funding delayed?

Student Finance
You need to reapply for your Student Finance/NHS funding each academic year. If there is a delay, contact Student Finance England/NHS Bursaries Unit to try and resolve the issue. If you need to, you can usually use a phone in the Advice and Counselling Service. If you cannot resolve the issue yourself, contact the Advice and Counselling Service using our contact details below.

Short Term/Emergency Loans
If you have applied for funding for your programme of study and you are definitely eligible for it, but it has been delayed, you can apply to the university for a short term interest free loan to help with your living costs, once you are fully enrolled. Contact the Student Enquiry Centre, ground floor, Queens Building, Mile End campus or email bursaries@qmul.ac.uk. The loan can take a few days to process so apply for one in plenty of time.

If you have a sudden financial emergency, you can apply for a small emergency cash loan in the same way as described above. If your application is successful, you can usually get the emergency loan on the same day that you apply for it.

Are you an EEA National?
You may be eligible for full Student Finance (money for living costs as well as a Tuition Fee Loan) if you were living in England on 1st September of the year in which you started your course and either you are now working or have lived in the UK for three years before the start of your course. You do not need to have been working during previous years of your course, but you must be working when you apply for Student Finance and intend to continue working throughout your course. To check your eligibility and find out how to apply, read the Eligibility section of the Advice and Counselling Service advice guide: Student Finance: loans, grants and bursaries’.

Do you need further advice?
You can find out more about the Advice and Counselling Service and how we can help you at www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk

To contact us, you can:

    • email us via our website
    • call us on 020 7882 8717
    • visit our Reception on the ground floor of the Geography building, Mile End campus

    Get our latest news via:
    Twitter: @QMUL_ACS
    Facebook: http://on.fb.me/pj5TP3

Bookmark and Share