Jump to menu

Top ten money tips for new students

Tuesday 22 September 2015

The Advice and Counselling Service have got some useful tips and information to help you manage your money.

  1. Don’t miss out on money that you are entitled to. Use the funding advice guides on the Advice and Counselling Service website to help you check this
  2. Buy an NUS (National Union of Students) Extra card (£12 a year) to get discounts on a wide variety of shops, restaurants, cinema and travel
  3. Get an 18+ Student Oyster photocard for discounted London travel
  4. Use our online spreadsheets to plan your personal budget for the academic year ahead, so you are in control of your finances
  5. Use our budgeting advice guide to find out about discounts and ways to get the best value for your money
  6. When food shopping, buying supermarket own brands is usually cheaper than manufacturers items; look out for ‘buy one get one free offers’ on items you usually shop for; and look for reduced quick sale items in the evenings
  7. Try and cook with a group of friends, as this is often cheaper than cooking for yourself, and more fun! Find simple recipes at www.studentcook.co.uk
  8. Compare student bank accounts before choosing the right one for you.

There is specific information for international students about opening a bank account on the Advice and Counselling Service website.
To avoid running out of money before the end of the semester, open different bank accounts for different purposes and move money between them at set times – you might also earn some interest. Get tips at the Student Room.

  1. Shop around for the best mobile phone deal, so you aren’t paying more than you need to
  2. Save money on books: borrow from the university library, and download academic e-books and e-journals for free; share books with friends; buy second hand or discounted books from the campus bookshop.

Watch our short animation about Budget Planning to see what the benefits are.

Is your Student Finance, NHS Bursary, or other funding delayed?
Follow the advice on our website about what you need to do, and help you may be able to get from the university.

Are you an EEA National?
You may be eligible for full Student Finance (money for living costs as well as a Tuition Fee Loan) if you were living in England on 1 September 2015 and you are either working now, or you have lived in the UK for three years before the start of your course. To check your eligibility and find out how to apply, read the Eligibility section of the Advice and Counselling Service advice guide: ‘Student Finance: loans, grants and bursaries for undergraduates’

Do you need further advice?
You can find out more about the Advice and Counselling Service and how we can help you at www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk

To contact us, you can:

  • email us via our website
  • call us on 020 7882 8717
  • visit our Reception on the ground floor of the Geography building, Mile End campus

Get our latest news via:
Twitter: @QMUL_ACS
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/pj5TP3

Bookmark and Share