Jump to menu

Money Matters: Some tips from the Advice and Counselling Service

Thursday 23 April 2015

Have you paid too much Income Tax?

The tax year ended on 6 April. If you did any work in the 2014-15 tax year, it is a good idea to check whether you paid too much tax on your income. If so, you can claim this back. The Tax Guide for Students website explains how to do this.

Have you applied for Student Finance for next academic year?

If you are continuing on your course in 2015-16, renew your Student Finance application by 30 June for your money to be ready by the start of the new academic year. To apply, just log in to your online account using your Customer Reference Number and password.

Are you estranged from your family?

We have new web pages about the support that is available for estranged students: one of the pages is about applying for Student Finance as an independent student. A Welfare Adviser can also advise you about applying to QMUL for a grant to help you pay towards your rent over the summer vacation. The other webpage explains what estrangement is, how and why it might happen, and what emotional support is available for anyone affected.

Money for lone parents and students with ongoing ill health or a disability

During part of the summer vacation, you can usually claim more income from welfare benefits than during term time. This is explained in our advice guides:
Money for lone parents and Extra Money for Disability and Ill Health.

Please contact a Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Service if you need any help with your summer claims. We can also advise you about any entitlement to non-repayable financial help from the University’s Financial Assistance Fund.

Protecting your deposit in privately rented accommodation

Are you moving into privately rented accommodation over the summer? When you pay a deposit for an assured shorthold tenancy, your landlord or letting agent must protect your deposit through a government-backed tenancy deposit protection scheme within 30 days of receiving it. They are also obliged to provide you with certain information such as the landlord’s details, and how to get your deposit back at the end of the tenancy.

If your landlord has failed to protect your deposit with a Scheme, or to do so within 30 days, or to provide you with details of the Scheme within 30 days, you can apply to the county court to take action against your landlord to ensure the return of your deposit. The court can ask the landlord to pay you up to three times the value of the deposit.

If your deposit has been placed with one of the Schemes, at the end of the tenancy if there is any dispute about you getting your deposit back, there is an alternative dispute resolution service attached to each of the Schemes which will act as an independent mediator.

For more information, see the Shelter website.

The QMUL Housing Services office or the Advice and Counselling Service can also advise you.

How to get more help

If you would like a confidential appointment in the Advice and Counselling Service to talk about your individual situation, you can either:

  • Try and get a same-day appointment – a limited number of these are available every weekday afternoon during term time. Registration starts at 1.30pm; or
  • Book an appointment in advance by:
  • emailing us via our website www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk
  • calling us on 020 7882 8717
  • visiting our Reception on the ground floor of the Geography Building, Mile End campus.

Twitter: @QMUL_ACS
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/pj5TP3

Bookmark and Share