Monday 5 January 2015
New Year: New Finances! 10 tips for improving your finances in 2015
- Use our budget calculator to work out your income and your spending, and compare the figures. Then you can see if your income is enough to meet your spending, and if not, how much the difference is
- If your income is less than your spending, you can look for ways to increase your income using our Additional Sources of Funding guide
- Have you applied to the QMUL Financial Assistance Fund? You may be eligible for a grant to help you pay for your living costs
- Are you working part-time? Our Part-time Work guide will help you find work and understand about pay rates, income tax and national insurance
- Do you have an interest free overdraft facility? This can be a useful additional source of income. Compare student accounts here.
- Are you getting the right amounts of Student Finance? If you are only getting non-income assessed Student Finance, it is important to check whether you could be eligible for any income-assessed finance, such as extra loan and grants. Our Student Finance advice guide explains this.
- Get great money saving tips on websites like NUS, Save the Student and Money Saving Expert
- Enjoy doing more activities in London for free!
- Are you repaying debts which you can’t afford, and incurring interest and charges? Contact a Welfare Adviser for help negotiating a more affordable repayment plan
- Contact a Welfare Adviser if you would like a confidential one to one discussion about your finances. We can advise you on any extra income you might be entitled to, and we can help you plan your own budget
Do you need further advice?
Money advice at Queen Mary is available to all QMUL students from experienced Welfare Advisers in the Advice and Counselling Service. The service is confidential and free.
We have same-day appointments every weekday in term-time, subject to availability. Just turn up to register at 1.30pm. If you would prefer to book an appointment or ask for advice on email you can -
- email us via our website www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk
- call us on 020 7882 8717
- visit our Reception on the ground floor of the Geography building, Mile End campus
You can also follow us:
- on Twitter: @QMUL_ACS
- on Facebook: http://on.fb.me/pj5TP3