Friday 31 October 2014
Monthly articles from the Advice and Counselling Service to help you manage your money
Student Money Survey
The website ‘Save the Student’ recently conducted a Student Money Survey. They found that:
- 4 in 5 students worry constantly about money
- Almost half of students believe that financial issues affect their studies
- A third of students have never budgeted
Money advice at Queen Mary is available to all QMUL students from experienced Welfare Advisers in the Advice and Counselling Service. The service is confidential and free. You can get advice with any financial matter, including:
- Checking you are getting all the money you are entitled to
- Help with your Student Finance application
- Problems paying tuition fees
- Dealing with unmanageable debts
- Applying for hardship funding
- Planning your budget
There is lots of help and support available, so please don’t worry about money on your own. The Advice and Counselling Service contact details are at the end of this article.
If you have never planned a budget, now is the time to start! See how easy it is in our Budgeting guide. Planning your income and spending for the year will mean you are more in control of your money and less likely to worry about it. A Welfare Adviser can help you with this if you would like.
Part time work
Are you looking to do some part-time work to increase your income, as well as to gain useful skills and work experience? The Advice and Counselling Service and QMUL Careers have written a guide to Part-time work which explains:
- how to find work
- how much you might earn
- income tax and national insurance
- the rules for working if you are not a UK national
Do you need extra money for your living costs?
The University Financial Assistance Fund considers applications from students in financial hardship. Awards made by the fund are normally grants, so you don’t need to pay this money back. You can download an application form and guidance notes, which explain the eligibility criteria.
If you need any advice about making your application, contact a Welfare Adviser.
Managing your money film
Watch a film featuring our current students about how they manage their money, with tips about applying for student finance and bursaries, getting part time work, planning a budget and making the most of your student discounts. Watch the film on YouTube.
Do you need further advice?
Money advice at Queen Mary is available to all QMUL students from experienced Welfare Advisers in the Advice and Counselling Service. The service is confidential and free.
We have same-day appointments every weekday in term-time, subject to availability. Just turn up to register at 1.30pm. If you would prefer to book an appointment or ask for advice on email you can -
- email us via our website www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk
- call us on 020 7882 8717
- visit our Reception on the ground floor of the Geography building, Mile End campus
You can also follow us:
- on Twitter: @QMUL_ACS
- on Facebook: http://on.fb.me/pj5TP3