Jump to menu

Money Matters October 2014

Wednesday 1 October 2014

Monthly articles from the Advice and Counselling Service to help you manage your money.

Do you need extra money for your living costs?
The University Financial Assistance Fund considers applications from students in financial hardship. Awards made by the fund are normally grants, so you don’t need to pay this money back. You can download an application form and guidance notes, which explain the eligibility criteria:
If you need any advice about making your application, contact a Welfare Adviser (see below).

Having problems with your Student Finance?
If you have applied for Student Finance but you have not received it or only some of it, follow the advice on our website, including information on interim sources of funding:

Are you getting the best value for your money?
In all areas of your spending (for example food shopping, travel costs, mobile phone and household bills) it is important to make sure that you get the best value for your money. Could you get the same thing cheaper elsewhere? Read our advice guide Managing your budget and cutting costs for loads of great money saving ideas, and save £££££’s! www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk/documents/leaflets/budgeting/5065.pdf

Paying too much for your gas and electricity?
Energy prices are going up. If you’re living in privately rented accommodation, check how much you are paying for gas and electricity, and see if you can switch to a cheaper deal: www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub.
Also, if you are living in Tower Hamlets, you can join the Tower Hamlets Energy co-operative. The co-operative is set up for the benefit of the community, and allows people to get cheaper and fairer deals on their energy bills, sometimes saving as much as £150. It’s quick and easy to sign up, it shows what savings you may be able to make, and it doesn’t require you to switch from your current providers either. More information is available here: www.towerhamlets.gov.uk/lgnl/environment_and_planning/sustainability.

Council Tax exemption
Most full time students do not have to pay Council Tax – this is known as a Council Tax exemption. Read the Advice and Counselling Service advice guide Council Tax to find out how to claim your exemption:
If you are living in QM halls of residence, you don’t need to do anything, as university halls are automatically exempt from Council Tax.

Do you need further advice?
Money advice at Queen Mary is available to all QMUL students from experienced Welfare Advisers in the Advice and Counselling Service. The service is confidential and free.

We have same-day appointments every weekday in term-time, subject to availability. Just turn up to register at 1.30pm. If you would prefer to book an appointment or ask for advice on email you can -  

  • email us via our website www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk
  • call us on 020 7882 8717
  • visit our Reception on the ground floor of the Geography building, Mile End campus

You can also follow us:  

Bookmark and Share