Jump to menu

Top ten money tips for new students

Friday 12 September 2014

  1. Don’t miss out on money that you are entitled to. Use the funding advice guides on the Advice and Counselling Service website to help you check this
  2. Buy an NUS (National Union of Students) Extra card (£12 a year) to get discounts on a wide variety of shops, restaurants, cinema and travel
  3. Get an 18+ Student Oyster photocard for discounted London travel
  4. Plan your budget for the academic year ahead, to help you avoid overspending. Use the Advice and Counselling Service Budgeting guide, which also includes many money saving tips
  5. Apply for help with health costs on the basis of low income on form HC1
  6. When food shopping, buying supermarket own brands is usually cheaper than manufacturers items; look out for ‘buy one get one free offers’ on items you usually shop for; and look for reduced for quick sale items in the evenings
  7. Try and cook with a group of friends, as this is often cheaper than cooking for yourself, and more fun! Find simple recipes at www.studentcook.co.uk
  8. Compare student bank accounts before choosing the right one for you.
    There is specific information for international students about opening a bank account on the Advice and Counselling Service website.
    To avoid running out of money before the end of the semester, open different bank accounts for different purposes and move money between them at set times – you might also earn some interest. Get tips on The Student Room.
  9. Shop around for the best mobile phone deal, so you aren’t paying more than you need to
  10. Save money on books: borrow from the university library, and download academic e-books and e-journals for free; share books with friends; buy second hand or discounted books from the campus bookshop.

For lots more money saving ideas, read the Advice and Counselling Service guide ‘Managing your budget and cutting costs’

Is your Student Finance, NHS Bursary, or other funding delayed?
Follow the advice on our website about what you need to do, and how the university can help.

Are you an EEA National?
You may be eligible for full Student Finance (money for living costs as well as a Tuition Fee Loan) if you are working or if you have lived in the UK for three years before the start of your course, and you were living in England on 1 September 2014. To check your eligibility and find out how to apply, read the Eligibility section of the Advice and Counselling Service advice guide: ‘Student Finance: loans, grants and bursaries for undergraduates’

Do you need further advice?
You can find out more about the Advice and Counselling Service and how we can help you at www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk

To contact us, you can:

  • email us via our website
  • call us on 020 7882 8717
  • visit our Reception on the ground floor of the Geography building, Mile End campus

Get our latest news via:
Twitter: @QMUL_ACS
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/pj5TP3

Bookmark and Share