Jump to menu

Money Matters May

Wednesday 30 April 2014

Some tips from the Advice and Counselling Service:

  • Have you paid too much Income Tax? The tax year ended on 5 April. If you did any work in the 2013-14 tax year, it is a good idea to check whether you paid too much tax on your income. If so, you can claim this back. The Tax Guide for Students website explains how to do this.
  • Have you applied for Student Finance for next academic year? If you are continuing on your course in 2014-15, renew your Student Finance application by 27 June for your money to be ready by the start of the new academic year. To apply, just log in to your online account using your Customer Reference Number and password, or download a PR1 application form.
  • Money for lone parents and students with ongoing ill health or a disability. During part of the summer vacation, you can usually claim more income from benefits than during term time. Please contact a Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Service for advice about what benefits you are entitled to, and how to claim for the summer. We will also advise you about any entitlement to non repayable financial help from the QMUL’s Financial Assistance Fund. You can also read our advice guides:
    Money for lone parents and Extra Money for Disability and Ill Health
  • Protecting your deposit in privately rented accommodation. If you are renting accommodation from a private landlord, when you pay a tenancy deposit your landlord or letting agent must protect your deposit through a government-backed tenancy deposit protection scheme within 30 days of receiving it. They are also obliged to provide you with certain information such as the landlord’s details, and how to get your deposit back at the end of the tenancy. If your landlord has failed to protect your deposit with a Scheme, or to do so within 30 days, or to provide you with details of the Scheme within 30 days, you can apply to the county court to take action against your landlord to ensure the return of your deposit. The court can ask the landlord to pay you up to three times the value of the deposit. If your deposit has been placed with one of the Schemes, at the end of the tenancy if there is any dispute about you getting your deposit back, there is an alternative dispute resolution service attached to each of the Schemes which will act as an independent mediator. For more information, you could visit the housing advice charity Shelter's website. There is specific information about getting your deposit back here, and about what deductions your landlord can make from your deposit here. The Housing Services office in Queens’ E01 or the Advice and Counselling Service can also advise you.

How to get more help
If you would like a confidential appointment in the Advice and Counselling Service to talk about your individual situation, you can either:

  • Try and get a same-day appointment – a limited number of these are available every weekday afternoon during term time. Registration starts at 1.30; or
  • Book an appointment in advance by:
  • emailing us via our website www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk
  • calling us on 020 7882 8717
  • visiting our Reception on the ground floor of the Geography building, Mile End

Twitter: @QMUL_ACS
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/pj5TP3

Bookmark and Share