Friday 7 March 2014
A group of students and staff have been working with the approved supplier Marston Robing to produce new academic dress to go with our new Queen Mary University of London degrees. Feedback is being invited on the drafts of the academic dress from students – the deadline to share your thoughts is Monday 17 March by contacting email@example.com.
The first images of what the gowns and hoods look like are available on the Student Enquiry Centre website: http://www.arcs.qmul.ac.uk/students/graduation/your-degree-award/index.html
Key points to note
- In total there are six ranges of dress for the different levels of awards, from undergraduate bachelors to higher doctorates and they all include a gown, hood and hat. The designs become more complex as they increase in award level.
- The designs incorporates colours and themes from Queen Mary’s heritage and coat of arms including the Queen Mary blue, silver, red; and the Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry chevrons and the upward chevron shape generally, which can be seen on our coat of arms.
- The hire of gowns will be cheaper than in previous years, they will be easier for all graduands to wear.
- The group who have been working on the designs include the Students’ Union, representatives from each of the Faculties, Marketing and Communications and colleagues from Academic Registry and Council Secretariat.
- Student representatives have consulted more widely with students over the past six months, running focus groups, sharing updates at student meetings and bringing in more representatives from Barts and The London for the medical and dental dress.
Passing on your feedback
Once the draft designs are confirmed, we will review fabric swatches and choose the final fabrics for the hoods and hats.
The first Queen Mary students to wear the dress will be attending the graduation ceremonies in July 2014.