Friday 28 February 2014
Running out of money? 10 things you can do to help:
- Apply for a grant to the University Financial Assistance Fund. Check your eligibility and download an application form. Contact a Welfare Adviser (see below) if you would like help with your application.
- Make the most of student discounts using your NUS Extra card. Lots of organisations provide lists of deals, including this external site: www.savethestudent.org/student-discounts.
- Have you got a student bank account with an interest free overdraft facility? Compare the options with a little bit of research - you could start with this external site: www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/Student-bank-account.
- Can you increase your income with part time work? See our Part-time and vacation work advice guide, which we have written with QM Careers
- If you are working, check that you are paying the right amount of tax using this website from an educational charity. You might be able to claim a refund at the end of the tax year in April.
- Cook at home to save money – it’s much cheaper than takeaways or eating out. Markets are usually much cheaper than supermarkets for fresh produce. Find easy recipes at studentrecipes.com and www.studentcook.co.uk.
- Look for the best deal for your mobile phone package with Advice and Counselling's guide.
- Take control of your spending. For some top tips see http://bit.ly/YcqY75
- Have fun and enjoy all that London has to offer for FREE! See www.london4free.net/things-to-do Also some free and low cost activities at www.timeout.com/london/cheap-london
- Plan a budget so you can see exactly what your income and outgoings are. Use the budget planner in our Managing your budget advice guide or use an online planner
How to get more help
You can find out more about the Advice and Counselling Service and how we can help you at www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk.
You might like a confidential appointment with a Welfare Adviser to talk about your individual situation – you don’t have to wait until you have a crisis: many students contact us to help them plan a budget and check they are getting all the money they’re entitled to, to try and avoid problems occurring.
To contact us, you can:
- email us via our website www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk
- call us on 020 7882 8717
- visit our Reception on the ground floor of the Geography building, Mile End campus
Get our latest news via: