Monday 8 April 2013
In December 2012, Library Services announced some changes to the service at West Smithfield. As a result of feedback from students and staff in the School of Medicine and Dentistry, changes were made for the period January – April 2013.
Following a period of consultation and review with members of the Library User Forum, Student Experience Advisory Board and School of Medicine Staff and Student Liaison Committees, from 29 April, the following service for the rest of this academic year is outlined below.
Service provision from 29 April to end of academic year 2012/13
- Full lending service during opening hours
- 9am-9pm opening hours on weekdays
- 1pm-8pm opening hours on Saturdays
- Four Sunday openings to coincide with 1st year students’s end of year exam period. Dates of these openings will be confirmed on the Library website.
- 24/7 basement reading and computer room
Throughout August opening hours will reduce to 12-5pm on weekdays only. The library will be closed on weekends. The basement room will still be open 24/7, and opening hours at the other libraries are on the website.
Options for future service provision
Following a period of consultation and review with members of the Library User Forum, Student Experience Advisory Board and School of Medicine Staff and Student Liaison Committees, three options for the provision at West Smithfield were proposed:
- Option 1: Retain opening hours without a lending service. Library open six days per week (Weekdays 9am-9pm; Saturday 1-9pm) with 24/7 basement reading and computer room.
- Option 2: Reduce opening hours but targeting core usage hours and include a lending service. Library open six days per week (Monday-Saturday 1-8pm) with 24/7 basement reading and computer room.
- Option 3: Reduce opening hours but targeting core usage hours and include a lending service. Library open five days per week (Weekdays 1-9pm) with 24/7 basement reading and computer room.
After further consultation with student representatives over the three options proposed, the third option was agreed, but with opening hours extended by one hour to 12 (noon)-9pm on weekdays and additional weekend opening to be provided ahead of finals and 1st year exams. From the next academic year, 2013/14, the service provision will now be as follows:
- Full lending service
- 12pm (noon) -9pm opening hours on weekdays
- Closed on weekends during usual term-times, but ahead of finals and 1st year exams, the Library will operate Saturday and Sunday opening hours of 1pm-8pm (this will be flexible year-on-year depending when exams are scheduled)
- 24/7 basement reading and computer room
The Library was previously not open on Sundays, and weekend usage was very low, so we have prioritised extending weekday opening hours from 12 (noon)-9pm, and operating an exam period weekend service, in consultation with student representatives.
We would like to thank students and staff for their feedback and active involvement in shaping the provision at West Smithfield Library. Further ways to give your feedback are outlined below.
Director of Student Services.
We remain committed to listening to your concerns and doing the best we can to support your learning needs. We welcome your feedback at future Library User Forum meetings. Details of the next meetings will be posted on the website.
In response to the consultation process for the provision at the West Smithfield Library, the Student Experience Advisory Board was established. The Board, which is chaired by Professor Susan Dilly, Vice Principal for Teaching and Learning, provides a forum for discussion of issues affecting any aspect of student experience and a route for formal consultation with student representatives. Members of the Board include QMSU Sabbatical Officers, Faculty Deans for Taught Programmes, Director of Student Services, Chief Operating Officer representing Professional Services and the Academic Registry and Council Secretariat. If you have an issue that you would like to raise at the Board, feedback your comments to your course or faculty representative or go directly to the QMSU Sabbatical Officers: www.qmsu.org/officers/.
If you have any comments or feedback regarding the service changes at West Smithfield Library, please direct them to Emma Bull, Director of Library Services, on email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Professor Anthony Warrens, Dean for Education for Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry has also invited your feedback on email@example.com, as well as Andy Smith, BLSA President: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Access to other Library Services
The Library Services team is committed to continuing to support your learning resource needs and provide high quality services. You can also access our book lending service and our late evening and weekend opening hours at Mile End and Whitechapel Libraries. Many of our services and resources can now be accessed by telephone or online.