Friday 4 October 2013
QM has joined seven other Russell Group universities who have received formal recognition in an awards scheme that celebrates high-quality and sustainable catering. QM has earned the Bronze Food for Life Catering Mark in recognition of its commitment to serving healthy and ethical meals to students, staff and visitors in The Curve and The Hive. We have become one of over 150 caterers serving more than 750,000 meals in the UK every day.
The Curve's catering service provides 120,000 meals to customers throughout the year and The Hive catering service provides 126,000 meals to over 500 guests per day over the summer. Run by the Soil Association, the Food for Life Catering Mark is a UK-wide certification scheme, which provides an independent guarantee that food being served is fresh, free from controversial additives and better for animal welfare. The bronze, silver and gold tiers encourage caterers to use more local, free range, fair trade and organic ingredients to produce healthier menus.
The Bronze Standard ensures:
- No undesirable food additives or hydrogenated fats
- 75% of dishes are freshly prepared
- Meat is from farms which satisfy UK welfare standards
- Eggs are from cage-free hens
- Menus are seasonal
- Training is provided for catering staff
- No GM ingredients are used
- Free drinking water is prominently available
- No fish is served from the (MCS) ‘fish to avoid’ list
- Information is on display about food provenance
- Suppliers meet appropriate food safety standards Achieving the Catering Mark may also help QM to move up the People & Planet Green League: the student campaign group has included the bronze Catering Mark in the sustainable food criteria for its league table of universities.
Commenting on the achievement, the Head of Catering, Graham Brundle stated: "Achieving the Bronze Food for Life Catering Mark reflects Catering & Hospitality's commitment to ensuring it serves healthy, sustainable and nutritious food to its customers, while balancing its impact on the wider environment, minimising this through adopting sustainable and ethical policies to foster transparency in our operations. We are committed to redoubling our efforts to ensure we maintain the current level and look to achieve silver status in the future. The granting of the mark shows how the operations of Catering & Hospitality align with QM's sustainable food objective as part of its wider sustainable agenda."