Thursday 19 September 2013
- Don’t miss out on money that you are entitled to. Use the funding advice guides on the Advice and Counselling Service website to help you check this www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk//money/
- Plan your budget for the academic year ahead, to help you avoid overspending. Use the Advice and Counselling Service guide, which also includes many money saving tips: www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk/documents/leaflets/budgeting/5065
- Try and cook with a group of friends, as this is often cheaper than cooking for yourself, and more fun! Find simple recipes at www.studentcook.co.uk
- Buying lunch and snacks on campus will cost you at least £5 per day, plus drinks. This adds up to at least £750 a year on lunch if you are coming in every day during term time! Try bringing a packed lunch instead sometimes
- Get discounts with your NUS Extra card - www.nus.org.uk/en/NUS-extra/ - and subscribe to Save the Student for regular emails about student discounts www.savethestudent.org/student-deals
- Check if you could switch to a cheaper tariff for your gas and electricity bills – see www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub
Also reduce your bills by saving energy www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Take-action/Start-saving-money
- To avoid running out of money before the end of the semester, open different bank accounts for different purposes and move money between them at set times – you might also earn some interest. See
- Shop around for the best mobile phone deal, so you aren’t paying more than you need to: www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk/money/budget/mobiles
- Save money on books: borrow from the university library, and download academic e-books and e-journals for free; share books with friends; buy second hand books from the campus bookshop
- Are you in financial hardship? You might be eligible to apply to the University Financial Assistance Fund - www.arcs.qmul.ac.uk/students/finances/bursaries-grants-scholarships/Financial-Assistance-fund
Is your Student Finance, NHS Bursary, or other funding delayed?
You need to reapply for your Student Finance/NHS funding each academic year. If there is a delay, contact Student Finance England/NHS Bursaries Unit to try and resolve the issue. If you need to, you can usually use a phone in the Advice and Counselling Service. If you cannot resolve the issue yourself, contact the Advice and Counselling Service using our contact details below.
Short Term/Emergency Loans
If you have applied for funding for your programme of study and you are definitely eligible for it, but it has been delayed, you can apply to the College for a short term interest free loan to help with your living costs, once you are fully enrolled. Contact the Student Enquiry Centre, room CB2, Queens Building, Mile End campus or email email@example.com. The loan can take a few days to process so apply for one in plenty of time.
If you have a sudden financial emergency, you can apply for a small emergency cash loan in the same way as described above. If your application is successful, you can usually get the emergency loan on the same day that you apply for it.
Are you an EEA National?
You may be eligible for full Student Finance (money for living costs as well as a Tuition Fee Loan) if you are working or have lived in the UK for three years prior to the start of your course. You do not need to have been working during previous years of your course, but you must be working when you apply for Student Finance. For more information read the Eligibility section of the Advice and Counselling Service advice guide: ‘Student Finance: loans, grants and bursaries': www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk/money/undergraduates/finance
Contact us using the contact details below if you need any advice about your eligibility or any help with your application.
Do you need further advice?
You can find out more about the Advice and Counselling Service and how we can help you at www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk
To contact us, you can:
- email us via our website www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk
- call us on 020 7882 8717
- visit our Reception on the ground floor of the Geography building, Mile End campus
Get our latest news via: