Monday 8 July 2013
QM’s student PCs are being upgrading to Windows 8 this summer. IT Services are installing the new operating system on more than 1,300 desktops across all campuses in computer labs, libraries and The Hive. We are introducing Windows 8 desktop by desktop and there will always be PCs available for you to use while we upgrade. Find out more about what the new service will include and a read a ‘How to’ guide to help you get used to the features.
When you log in to the new service over the coming months, you will notice some of the following benefits:
- Shortcuts to all your course apps straight from the new Windows 8 Start screen (see image)
- Log in once (not twice) to access your files and apps – no more Novell
- Customise and save your desktop and accessibility settings eg font size, background colours, languages. These changes will follow you each time you log in to any of the College PCs.
- More secure desktop, with regular system updates and security patches.
Using Windows 8 at Queen Mary
We’ve put together some useful how-to’s from Microsoft that will help you find your way around the new desktop. You can download the guide here:
Just to get you started, below are two tips we thought you might want to know:
- Your folders and files have been moved across to Windows 8 – click on the Desktop tile on the Start screen (as shown in image) and then access from the traditional desktop as you normally would. Please click on the link above and see slide 8 for more information on the new File Explorer.
- If you can’t find the app you’re looking for on the Start screen – right-click, and then click All apps in the lower-right corner of the screen. This will show you all the installed apps available to you at QM. Click on the link to the guide above for more information about managing apps.