Jump to menu

Money Matters: Help managing your money

Thursday 25 October 2012

Some tips from QM’s Advice and Counselling Service

Having problems with your Student Finance?

If you have applied for Student Finance but you have not received it or only some of it, first contact Student Finance England (SFE) to find out what the problem is:


Perhaps SFE need more documents from you to assess your eligibility, or you might not have returned the signed declaration form which is required if you applied online. If after contacting SFE your issue is still unresolved, contact a Welfare Adviser from the Advice and Counselling Service (details below), who will try to help you. You can also contact the Bursaries office if you need a short term loan while waiting for your Student Finance (bursaries@qmul.ac.uk / Room CB2, ground floor, Queens’ Building).

Warning: protect your money

Fraudsters try to rip off students, especially at the start of term, when they know that Student Finance money will have recently been paid into their bank accounts. They send an email asking for your personal or bank details in order to try and hack into your account: this is known as phishing. Never respond to an email asking for any personal or bank account details. You are advised to report such emails to the Student Loans Company: www.slc.co.uk. If you need advice from the Advice and Counselling Service, you can get in touch by using this page: Contact.

Do I have to pay Council Tax?

Most full time students do not have to pay Council Tax, but if you live in privately rented accommodation, you do have to claim Council Tax exemption by proving that you are a full-time student. A certificate can be obtained from the registry. Read the Advice and Counselling Service advice guide Council Tax to find out how to claim your exemption:


If you are living in QM halls of residence, you don’t need to do anything, as university halls are automatically exempt from Council Tax.

Are you getting the best value for your money?

It’s important to make sure that you get the best value for your money. Could you get the same thing cheaper elsewhere? Read the Advice and Counselling Service advice guide Managing your budget and cutting costs for loads of great money saving ideas, and save £££££’s!. See www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk/documents/leaflets/budgeting/5065.pdf

Advice and Counselling Money Advice event

Come and meet the Welfare Advisers from the Advice and Counselling Service in Library Square on Thursday 1 November, 12-2pm.

Come and find out more about the financial support and advice on offer, such as:

  • Checking you are getting all of the money you are entitled to
  • Applying to hardship funds
  • Planning your own budget
  • Great ways to be clever with your money
  • Making good use of discount schemes

You can also read Funding and Money advice guides online:


There is a range of guides to meet the needs of all QM students (home or international, undergraduate or postgraduate).

Do you need further advice?

Money advice at Queen Mary is available all year round from experienced Welfare Advisers in the Advice and Counselling Service.

To contact us, you can:

  • email Advice and Counselling Service via our website www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk
  • call on 020 7882 8717
  • visit reception on the ground floor of the Geography building, Mile End campus

You can also follow us:

Bookmark and Share