University Mental Health Day 2018 - what's on?
It’s University Mental Health Day on Thursday 1 March. This year we are thinking about community and how we can all support each other to achieve better mental health. Find out about all the activities taking place on campus on the day.
15 February 2018
**Please note that events originally taking place in Library Square or outside the Curve (apart from the food event) on the Mile End campus will now be taking place in the Octagon, Mile End campus due to adverse weather conditions**
We all have mental health – just like our physical health, sometimes it is better than at other times. We all need a hand sometimes through life’s ups and downs. So, whether you are a student or member of staff, come and join us to find out more and start a conversation with us about mental health.
We will be offering workshops, taster sessions, music for relaxation, 'mocktails', arts and crafts, financial health checks and more across the Mile End campus, for both staff and students (unless otherwise specified).
Relax and get involved
- Take on our Wellness Trail which launches on Thursday 1 March in the Octagon (Mile End campus) from 11am-3pm
- Get Active will be in the Octagon, Mile End campus from 11am-3pm, where you can try out badminton and find out more about their sports programme
- St Benet’s Chaplaincy will have 'Music for relaxation' sessions at the Chaplaincy, Mile End campus from 1-1.30pm and 1.30-2pm. They will also be organising a craft table from 2-4pm
- Arts and crafts in the Octagon, Mile End campus – decorate banners with your tips for positive mental wellbeing
- Look for the student String Quartet who will be playing in the Octagon on the day
- Grab some food from outside the Curve – taste their new offering of gluten-free, vegan and dairy-free products, pick up a smoothie taster shot, and more.
Get to know your local Queen Mary community
Find out more about the support services available to you at Queen Mary and in our local community. Join us in Library Square, Mile End campus from 11am-3pm to talk to us:
- Advice and Counselling Service
- City of London Open Space
- Compass Wellbeing
- Disability and Dyslexia Service
- Employee Wellbeing and Support/Occupational Health
- Estates and Facilities
- Get Active
- Peer Assisted Study Support (PASS)
- RESET Drug and Alcohol Service
- Staff Mental Health First Aid Training sign-up
- Step Forward
- Student Health Service
- Student Life
- Survivors UK
- QMSU Volunteering
- QMSU Welfare
Workshops and specialist advice
There is no need to book in advance – just come on the day. Places will be allocated on a first come, first served basis:
- 15-minute finance 'health check' drop-ins for students with a Welfare Adviser to check you are getting all the money you are entitled to, and to help you plan a budget – Advice and Counselling Service, Ground Floor, Geography Building, Mile End campus between 11am-3pm on Thursday 1 March.
- 'Can’t Study' workshops for students by the Advice and Counselling Service in room 2.14, Graduate Centre, Mile End campus from 12-1pm and 3-4pm. For more information about the workshop please visit welfare.qmul.ac.uk/personal-development-workshops-2018 (six places available at each).
- Step Forward will be running a mindfulness workshop for students up to the age of 22 from 2-3pm in Room 4.04/4.08, Bancroft Building, Mile End campus. More information about the workshop can be found here.
See you on Thursday 1 March. Let’s talk about mental health!
#UniMentalHealthDay #StudentMinds #UMHAN