Money Matters for the New Year – tips from the Advice and Counselling Service
Are you worried about money? Take control of your finances with these 10 easy tips.
5 January 2018
- Use our online spreadsheets to plan your personal budget, so you are in control of your finances
- Use our money saving ideas to find out about discounts and ways to get the best value for your money – you could save £££s!
- Are you in financial hardship? You might be eligible to apply to the University Financial Assistance Fund once you have enrolled. Contact a Welfare Adviser if you need help applying.
- Learn to cook as it’s cheaper than ready meals and takeaways: find simple, healthy recipes at www.studentcook.co.uk.
- Save 30% off on travelcards with the 18+ Student Oyster photocard.
- Get discounts with your NUS Extra card and subscribe to Save the Student for regular emails about student discounts.
- Enjoy doing more activities in London for free.
- Check if you could switch to a cheaper tariff for your gas and electricity bills. Also reduce your bills by finding out how you can save energy.
- To avoid running out of money before the end of the semester, open different bank accounts for different purposes and move money between them at set times, so you are less tempted to overspend. Get advice from the Student Room.
- Save money on books: borrow from the university library, and download academic e-books and e-journals for free; share books with friends; buy second-hand or discounted books online or from the campus bookshop.
Watch our short film to see the advantages of planning a budget, and how easy it is.
Do you need further advice?
Money advice at Queen Mary is available to all students from experienced Welfare Advisers in the Advice and Counselling Service. The service is confidential and free.
We have same-day appointments every week day in term-time, subject to availability. Just turn up to register at 1.30pm. If you would prefer to book an appointment (in person or by phone) or ask for advice on email you can:
- email us via our website www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk
- call us on 020 7882 8717
- visit our Reception on the ground floor of the Geography Building, Mile End campus.
You can also follow us:
- on Twitter: @QMUL_ACS
- on Facebook: http://on.fb.me/pj5TP3